CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Think About It - More Thoughts About Movies


WARNING: This posting states strong opinions against movies and TV. You may not like what you read.

The last time I mentioned the fact that I hate movies and that I was having a violent reaction to the movie "Changing Lanes" a friend wrote an interesting comment. She asked, "I didn't know it was so bad?" So, this got me thinking... Am I just having a ridiculous response to a movie because I haven't seen one in a while? You decide: This movie is basically a moral and ethical exploration of American society including such problems as the question of whether or not a lawyer made a mistake by convincing a dying man to sign a legal paper handing over a company to be run by individuals who wanted a share of his money. Also, individuals are literally ruining each others lives, trying to kill one another, cursing at each other, and one character is encouraged by his wife to continue his unethical behavior and to commit a crime. After considering these factors, the answer I arrived at is, no, I'm not having a ridiculous response. In fact, my cringing response is probably what the movie makers had in mind. This movie is a comment on society and it's dissolving moral and ethical values. Is that a sad, a horrible thing? Yes, I think so.

The real problem is that many people are jaded, they no longer respond to movies because they've seen too many of them. The blood, the guts, the killing, the cursing - none of this even registers on most peoples' indecent meters. Do we have a problem here? I think so. Because for most people, the lines between reality and "movies" are begining to blur, and suddenly, if killing isn't horrible, if it doesn't really denote death, why not try it at home? OK, a bit extreme, right? So go have an affair. Is that OK? Or, maybe go steal something. Do see my point? And, even if you can pat yourself on your back because you haven't decided to do something "wrong" because it's promoted in the media and movies, ask yourself: are you truly unaffected? The answer is most likely, "No, I'm affected alright." And if you say righteously, "Yes! No movie or television has affected my hold on reality," then you're lying to yourself.

I used to say, the killing in movies doesn't bother me. The cursing? Nah, no problem. What about the love? The ethical and moral issues? None of it really made me cringe. But having taken a step back to look for reality, and having found it, I can now turn to movies, all movies, and dissect the pieces that create the whole. Is killing OK? No. So why doesn't it bother me to watch fake killing? Is the love portrayed in movies real? Is it ever real? No! So why waste my time and risk being influenced to find a love, a reality, that will never exist?

Some complain, I need a way to let go, to unwind. And I say back, fine, I understand, but don't tell me that there is nothing else to do but watch TV or movies. And don't tell me that you're not tainted by the garbage, no matter how subtle or innocent "they" say it is.

So, we are all free to take our life into your own hands; but I for one will at least recognize the consequences of my actions.

4 comments:

Sarah Rutti said...

don't have time now so i'll read it later , forgive me please...

SEP said...

lol ;D

Sarah Rutti said...

i agree that the movie has issues, not that it's a poorly mad emoveie, i remember enjoying it when i watched it three years ago. I need to stress, as well, that i did watch it a WHILE ago and wasn't movie sensitive as i am now. I wouldn't watch it now. I agree that the ethical issues inthe movie should disturb you if the way you're decribed themin this article is correct.
I support you in your frustartion and anxiety from watching this movie that i don't think it's a prblem that you feel this way. I think it's necessary and good.
So i hope that answers your question?
Again, greaet talking and we'll see what happens with this week ;-)

SEP said...

Thanks for your critique. Have a good one.