CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

NO WAY!?! As Sarah Rutti so aptly put it.

Photo source

Yes way. I got a bracha from Rav Ovadya Yosef today. So, here is the story in all its glorious detail:

My new friend Penina and myself went out for a short coffee break this morning. When we were hurrying back into the building, Penina happened to look across the street and exclaim, "Oh my gosh, do you know who that is?" Of course, I immediately recognized the garments Rav Ovadya Yosef always wears, but I just couldn't believe that THE Rav Ovadya Yosef, the gadol hador (sage of the generation) of Sephardic Jewry worldwide, was standing outside the Modern Orthodox school across the street from Touro College. I, in turn, suggested that we immediately go get a bracha (blessing/prayer on our behalf) from the Rav. As we were speaking a car pulled up, and, getting nervous that the Rav was about to drive away, Penina and I practically ran across the street to speak with him. So, at this point we were kind of standing behindRav Ovadya Yosef, and Penina had told me that I would have to speak. Of course, Rav Ovadya Yosef was talking to people, but I just couldn't let this opportunity pass, and I suppose they hadn't spotted us coming across the street, so I did the only think I could think of - I ever so politely interruptedRav Ovadya Yosef. (Ah!!)

"Slicha," I said in a loud voice; everyone turned in my direction. "Efshar l'kabel bracha me harav?" (The literal translation is, "Excuse me, would it be possible to receive a blessing from the Rabbi?")
At this point, Rav Ovadya Yosef gave Penina and myself a nice bracha, something along the lines of your hearts prayers should be answered, you should find a nice shidduch (marriage partner), and generally be successful. (I kind of wasn't paying attention to the first part because I wanted to hear him give me a bracha for a shidduch, but it really was a nice bracha. You know, the multi-part type that is thorough, thoughtful, and powerful.) AH!!! When he looked at me I began to tremble, and I was like that for 15 minutes afterwards. I mean, I'm still excited, even now!!! Yeah! Anyways, when I get married super soon, I'm sending Rav Ovadya Yosef a thank you letter with the wedding invitation. :D (bli neder/im yirtzeh Hashem!)

P.S. Rav Ovadya Yosef was NOT wearing sun glasses. I was surprised and almost didn't recognize him because he always wears sunglasses. Maybe that's why his gaze was so powerful...

Some other miscellaneous nice things happened today, but this took the cake. All in all, I hope your day is just as awesome as mine has been!

2 comments:

Sarah Rutti said...

good for you, again. I'm happy that you were able to get the guts to go up to him and get a bracha!

SEP said...

Thanks again! (Me so happy!!!) :D