CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 12, 2008

One Down, Others To Go

Photobucket

In the true spirit of Finals I've read some of the books which I constantly take out of the library. I managed to finish 4 mangas, 1 short story book by Orson Scott Card, and Animal Farm mostly in the past 3 days.

First of all, I recommend the book "First Meetings" by Orson Scott Card, to anyone interested in the Ender series, which he has written. This is a very well written book that is supposedly for young adults/children. I find that amusing considering the content and how it's written. There are even a few strange pictures to try and make it a teenager book, but his ender series was never really for children. Oh well. Despite the fact that there are pictures and that this book is located in the young adult section, it is worth your time and effort to read it. I found it quite enjoyable.

Now, in terms of Animal Farm, I found George Orwell's chilling description of a Utopian society gone awry fascinating. Perhaps most chilling is his depiction of the manipulation of "lower animals." At first, all animals are treated equal, outwardly at least. However, over time, through intimidation and cleverness, the pigs become tyrannical leaders that eventually enslave and abuse their fellow animals in a worse manner than the original human owners. It's really a very disturbing tale, but I also found it thought provoking.

The most important theme, which I believe needs to be addressed, is the fact that the animals believed the lies of their leaders, the pigs. Of course, the lies were told slowly and carefully at first, but over time, an evolution took place. After a few years, the lies seem obvious to the reader who remembers and sees the entire picture, yet the animals are no longer capable of viewing reality due to the fear and terror that pervades the "Utopian" Animal Farm society.

While some commentators believe Animal Farm to be far-fetched and dated, I do not believe that to be the case at all. Who are the tyrannical leaders of our day and age? Ironically, it is the press, the free press I should note. Indeed, I do not think the press is free at all. The main owners and leaders of the free press are rarely interested in truth and intellectual honesty. America is still relatively racist, narrow minded, and interested in power. A prime example is the press' reign against Israel. Who suffers? The Palestinians of course! But what if there is proof to the contrary? Well, if you look in the back of the newspaper in small print, perhaps you'll find that article, but otherwise that news might as well not exist. A similar example stands before us in terms of our current President. Did you not notice that Bush has been marked for death by the press? And oh how quickly he is dying...

I certainly believe that the intellectual dishonesty of the press is readily visible in their articles that seem to be straightforward, but actually tout one sided arguments that effectively brainwash America. And THAT my friends is a scary thing. As it is, Americans seem to have difficulty thinking for themselves. Now, why would that be? In fact, why are Americans getting stupider?

These are all topics that require more thought and time, but for now, let us simply remember, that those who place all of their beliefs and trust in corrupt institutions suffer more that one can imagine. Animal Farm might only be a fictional tale, but woe to the country that does not vigilantly supervise their current leaders, for any government, and I truly do mean any, can become driven by tyrannical despots. Fear my friends, for we live in scary times.

On that happy note, have a great week! :D

2 comments:

Sarah Rutti said...

Being that it took me much time and effort to concentrate and read this post, I don't really have much to say on what you've pointed out. Additionally, I'm really not "in with the Times" on American politics. I don't like reading or listening to the news, which is my fault, and I therefore know very little about the outside world.

However, being that my brain is ticking, though slowly, I'd have to agree with your points. I think that anyone can be made to believe anything, if one isn't careful enough.

Unfortunately, I don't see a light in sight. We need to remember that H'KBH runs the world, as well as the leaders. He sets them in place and tells them what to do. Last weeks parsha is a clear example of this, through Parao. So, on that matter, I agree that we're in a sorry state of leadership, but I don't think we can really do anything about it.

Just keep being the best Yid you can.

Have a great day.

SEP said...

I must say Sarahle, I'm impressed. No offense or anything, but I didn't know if you would read this post or not. I'm happy to see that you did read it, and I agree with you to a certain extent. Yes these matters are in Hashem's very capable "hands," but people need to be awake enough to recognize that and do their best. While one aspect of that is being a good yid, the other half is knowing what information is important so that we can protect ourselves. Yes, I agree with you, I don't like to follow news or politics, but I find it important to know what's going on for various reasons, hence the reason I have politics on the mind. Anywho, feel better and thanks for reading and commenting on this particular post! :D